We are in our Co-Founding Stage, the first three years. 5 Villagers are sharing land inherited from a transgender witch elder who passed this Summer continuing her 30yrs here of permaculture.
“We envision a world:
Wherein we offer each other mutual support in a gift economy: celebrating each other’s inherent worth and dignity, all cocreating according to our ability, and all receiving according to our need;
Wherein we are all maturing our personal skills in the shared craft of permaculture, living in Old Growth Forests we’ve tended in these Mountains, sharing all the Earth as one wild affectionate commons, and understanding the story we chose to leave behind where the capitalist industrial world would have killed us all, choosing instead cocreativity and sharing of skills in honor of all life;
Wherein we’ve decided living together in constellated villages was a good idea and we embody kindness, trust, accountability, responsibility, equity, inclusion and communication, knowing our own personal power & worth from within;
Wherein all indigenous nations’ sovereignty is universally empowered and everyone exercises self-determination in showing up to make decisions collaboratively in our constellations of federation councils with all beings: stars, animals, rocks, plants, fungi, humans, bio-regions and everybody;
Wherein all solidarity centered paths and spiritualities are celebrated, recognizing every place as a sanctuary in veneration of the ancestors who came before us and the ancestors yet to come.
We are holding collective responsibility to move our society into this world.”
5 are nurturing the flow of this commune until it is self-sustaining. On site is The Welcoming Circle for Diversity, Solidarity and Earth-Care where a local solidarity network (Ouachita Collaborative Cultivators) organizes, agitates and aids. Our alliance with OCC is our cross-roads to send ripples in our broader sense of home. We aim for community-subsistence outside capitalist modes of production.
Membership & Visitors
- Current members: 5
- Open to new members
- Open to visitors
Since 6/6/22 we've shared 5 acres of communal land as equals in our two Irrevocable Trusts - courthouse registered. After a half-moon visit any friends who'd like to add value to our gift economy for a year can co-own the Trusts by signing as Trustees w no fee. No one is a boss nor landlord here - we're all proudly working-class!
8 ways to participate in Snake Village's "Web":
1. Friend - a person who is an ally to our work and shares similar values and may help us move forward to our goals.
2. Guests - anyone visiting for less than 6 moons with a purpose to be enriched by the commune
3. Orbiter - doesn't live with the community and acts as an ambassador, upholding a commitment to the Village's mutual-aid for 6 moons then for one year renewable commitments
4. Bird - lives here 6 moons to a year with intention to complete a project toward the Village's goals and values.
5. Experiencing Villager - looks toward a deeper roots with the Village; a gate-way time to see what life is like here and how personal/communal experience is w phase 1 of our allied-discernment process: "Light the Forge Fires for Discernment" (half a moon cycle)
6. Discerning Villager - moves into phase 2 of discernment - "Hot Filing Iron into the Soils of Personal Vocation" - their vocation w Snake Village (1 moons commitment)
7. Vocational Villager - has chosen to place their craft and skill with this Village and has completed Experiencing and Discerning; deciding to contribute themself to the collective Vision, Path and Goals for the long-haul, nurturing others with this work as one year of seasons turn.
8. Extended Community - Alliance between a group and the Village
Process for Vocational Villager:
a. Visit or Fill out our Questionnaire (available by request)
b. Meet with our Village Council about joining
c. See what it's like here for half a moon as an Experiencing Villager
d. Deepen consideration for 1 moon as a Discerning Villager
e. Be Welcomed as a Vocational Villager