GEN provides and supports education on ecovillage design, experience and living across the globe – sharing best practices, applied research, and insight from decades of hands-on work and experimentation in sustainable community-building.
Our vibrant network of communities is full of training opportunities – and full of skilled trainers and facilitators.
Through our GEN Trainers programme, we work to empower local trainers, and connect local learners and educators for the benefit of all.
Who are the GEN Trainers?
GEN Trainers is growing community of ecovillage advocates passionate about facilitating hands-on positive transformation.
A diverse and international group of change-makers, GEN Trainers are linked by a grounding in ecovillage living, skills in facilitating participatory learning, and a commitment to community-led action for regeneration.
They come from a diversity of backgrounds, both culturally and professionally, but are all able to skillfully share knowledge, skills and tools for ecovillage design, community living, and regenerative solutions in one or more dimension of sustainability.
What does it mean to be a GEN Trainer?
Being a GEN Trainer means you gain the opportunity to run certified GEN trainings and make your work part of the Global Ecovillage Learning Journey.
As a GEN Trainer, we invite you to bring and nurture your own expertise and interests as an educator and facilitator, and to situate your work within the bigger picture of holistic sustanability, whole systems thinking, and participatory design that is at the heart of the ecovillage movement.
Thus, all GEN Trainers are able to facilitate sessions using the Ecovillage Design Cards, and can offer inspiring and personalised presentations of GEN’s work in ways that are meaningful to workshop participants.
We ask that all GEN trainers have a…
- Proven capacity to introduce GEN with a personalised presentation and facilitate group sessions using the Ecovillage Design Cards
- Proven skills or expertise in one or several areas of ecovillage design, solutions or education
- Proven experience in offering experiential education related to ecovillage design and life
- Clear relationship and familiarity with GEN and ecovillages, including 2 reference persons from within the GEN networks
- Experience of living in community
In return, GEN Trainers…
- Are promoted on the GEN website and social media channels
- Can be engaged by GEN to fulfill requests for training around the world
- Are included in the GEN Ambassador programme and receive updated GEN outreach materials on a regular basis
- Can apply for GEN certification for courses that they offer, which means their work is officially recognised by GEN and linked to and promoted as part of the Ecovillage Learning Journey – linking ecovillage education across all GEN Networks into a flexible programme of worldwide ecovillage-based education
All GEN Trainers sign a simple agreement with GEN about the mutual responsibilities and financial details the role, for clarity and simplicity.
Please note that the approval of a GEN Trainer is at the discretion of GEN Education, and may involve an interview, further learning or teaching experience, and the participation in a GEN Training of Trainers.
The GEN Training of Trainers
The GEN Training of Trainers is an opportunity for you to strengthen your capacity to teach, facilitate and train people using GEN’s unique tools and ecovillage based pedagogy.
With new skills, personal links to an ecovillage educator communit of practice, and deeper knowledge of the global ecovillage movement, we hope to boost your inspiration and increase your confidence as a changemaker and educator – so that you can enable others to design their own pathways to a regenerative future.
In the training, you will…
Learn creative ways to teach and facilitate using the Ecovillage Design Principles and Cards
- Practice working with the Ecovillage Design Principles and Cards to inspire action, encourage whole-systems thinking, facilitate regenerative community design, and teach sustainability in innovative ways.
- Become increasingly skilled in catalysing communities for a regenerative world, inviting them to design their own Ecovillage Development Plan.
Develop your skills as a facilitator of participatory and transformative learning
- Share best practices for preparing and delivering ecovillage-based workshops
- Learn how to skillfully create inspiring, open and cocreative training environments.
- Gain a deeper understanding of yourself as a trainer, and how to use your unique skills and personality as a facilitator of transformative learning
Increase your capacity to present ecovillages as a solution to the world’s most pressing challenges
- Deepen your understanding of Ecovillage Development as a powerful grassroots strategy to achieve the Paris Climate Agreement and United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- Increase your impact by situating GEN, Ecovillage Impact, and your work as a GEN Trainer in wider frameworks for positive change.
For upcoming GEN ToT dates and locations, take a look at the Training of Trainers website