The idea behind the creation of “The Kovcheg” was born of present day civilization. We live in a society that is stupidly wasting our natural resources through the senseless destruction of the environment. For future generations it is necessary to change the direction of our growth and progress to something that is ecologically sound. Our settlement is based on family owned land where each family owns one hectare of land to be kept in the family for generations. One hectare with woods, fruit trees, garden and a small pond can provide the family with all of life’s necessities.
By using long ignored methods of cultivating the earth and harvesting in the context of preserving the earth for future generations, this hectare of land will produce enough for the family’s use with surplus. Besides agriculture, every community can develop crafts that can provide for the people’s needs for manufactured goods. The majority of people spend about 10 hours daily earning the money to buy two kilograms of food and for housing. This accounts for practically all of their useful time for life. With the use of “adobe” methods and/or timber, a person can build for himself inexpensive and practical housing of much better quality than that built by modern methods. Food grown in the garden is healthier and tastier than that purchased at the store. A person can much more efficiently satisfy his needs and spend the tremendous resource of extra time exploring the arts, pursuing invention and on self improvement. The general implementation of these ideas can lead to significant improvements in health, reduction in crime, strengthening of family relations and harmonious self development. This would decrease technology related catastrophes and create a drastic reduction in the exhaustion of natural resources for industrial production, and even the reduction of travel expenses and refocus the expenditure of energy from manufacturing, to rebuilding the environment.
* Eco-community “Kovcheg” was started in 2001 (with land allocation – on big field with forest 3 sides around).
* First common house (10x12m) and first private houses was build during summer 2002.
* Common house used as guest-house and as place of meetings, singing, children study, lectures and etc…
* Totally we have 100 hectares and 80 family parts. Now we have 73 family (about 200 people). We have strict rules for new members and 75% of existent members must want to see new family as there neighbors (so we have very good community).
* During last summer about 100 people was on land, during winter 2006-2007 31 families (~80 people – many children) live permanently.
* From last 4 years we build about 10-14 houses per year (from foundation to roof), so now we have about 45 houses with roof (but sometimes not fully ready to Russian winter :).
* We have our own power-saw bench and wood workshop (and also two wheeled tractors) that helps us to organize houses construction.
* We use pretty different technologies in houses creation – from our own “warm light adobe” technology and up to aerated (foamed) concrete. Different forms, different construction and etc. Most of them (even dwelling houses) are in the middle of construction.
* In 2005 we prepare movie “How to build warm winter house from light adobe” See:
In 2006 we also prepare clip about our ecovillage and prepare materials from several ecovillages for video-clip about ecovillages movement in Russia.
* Some photo available here:
And unfortunately we have no time to update this photos and English pages, we did not agitate new people now, so reduce site activity and increase life and building activity.
Membership & Visitors
- Current members: 120
Non-working Guests welcome, Volunteers welcome,