Green Canvas of Light is a conscious sustainable permaculture development project on a beautiful and fertile 50ha forest-farm in the Wilderness Lakes area of the Garden Route in South Africa.
Full details about this project can be found on our Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/green.canvas.of.light/
• The creation of an integrated, mature and sustainable community that is based on respect, wisdom and love.
• There is no prescription of ideology except acknowledging that all life is Sacred and that all life (humans, animals, plants, water, rocks and the earth itself) is to be respected, honoured and cared for.
• There is the intention for maximal self-sufficiency in terms of food, water, energy and shelter. And the freedom to celebrate the kind of life that comes from that self-sufficiency.
• Growing abundant and huge varieties of organic and heirloom food, medicinal and teacher plants. Building up our already excellent soils to create the highest nutrition food that can possibly be grown on the planet.
• The keeping of farm creatures both as companions and food sources (poultry, aquaculture, cows/goats/sheep for milk and bees for honey).
• Generating our own power via solar, wind and other systems. Using the highest technology in very conscious ways for this purpose.
• Harvesting, managing and energizing water to provide the purest most health-giving sustenance to ourselves and all that live on the farm.
• Building to harmonize and integrate naturally with the land, and using natural materials such as wood (much of it available on site), stone, hemp, bamboo and cob (ditto). And expressing deep architectural beauty through this process.
• Protecting, cultivating and regenerating the land and forests, and restoring to full harmony those parts that have become unbalanced through misuse.
• Applying patterns of farming and land use derived from Permaculture, Biodynamics, Shizen Nōhō (One-Straw Revolution) and the practices of traditional sacred cultures.
• The creation of income producing activities (whether on the land itself or simply using its fruits) that are in harmony with the land and the personal ethos of the community members.
• In our shared passion for authentic living, finding ways to be of service to others outside our immediate community.
• And doing all of this in a deeply integrated, harmonious, celebratory and maximally conscious way.
There is the understanding that simply living in community with others is a spiritual practice in and of itself. And within that context we help each other to grow and become more conscious. This is the essential framework that underlies and grants the deeper existential purpose to this project.
There is the also the understanding that we are living our own lives with their own timings and agendas. So community making will be a natural event, and not forced or made overly much of. We are also merely good neighbours living near to each other.
It is becoming more and more evident that we are living at a time on this earth where living co-operatively in sustainable community is becoming more than simply a good idea, it is becoming vital. And as the financial, political, social and ecological systems we are used to depending on degrade further, we will need each other more and more.
The people that are invited to this are necessarily those who are able to meet others in empathy, humility, clarity and respect and who are able to endure, with grace and humour, the challenge that human life and relationship can be.
This is for those who are able to be strong and self-generating and thus support the creation of the community from within themselves rather than relying on the community to hold them up.
This vision is about grounding the most noble aspects of our dreams and our ideas, and celebrating the wonder that is human life and relationship completely expressed!
Membership & Visitors
- Open to new members
Please read the Prospectus, which is available for download on our Facebook page. Then contact by phone or email if you are interested to explore.