Misriyati was inspired by the growing intolerance among the different components of the Egyptian society: religions, social classes and cultural groups. These symptoms revealed the need to work on gaining a new awareness of our reality with its structures and relationships, of improving our competences and skills in dealing with diversity or in meeting conflict, and our re-adoption of values that can enhance peaceful living.
Deep discussion led the founding team to consider “education” as the main entry point for social and cultural change: and hence, Misriyati was conceived as an educational “space”:
• A space for exploration: of the self, the other, the structures and the culture, the underlying fears and stereotypes, the lacking skills, the missing values… and the alternatives.
• A space of interaction: sincere human interactions, between the “real” people… each with his/her own legitimate luggage of experiences, feelings and thoughts.
• A space of learning and growth…
Our Vision is that of the Egyptian society knowing about principles of peaceful living and nonviolent
ways of dealing with conflicts, and having the possibility of applying
those principles in its daily life.
(1) Providing the knowledge about peaceful living: Misriyati create these spaces where the knowledge can be explored, shared and created together.
(2) Creating the success stories and peaceful living model: by encouraging an action that is congruent with values.
(3) Building the community for peaceful living: and by this we mean the network of individuals sharing the same values and ideals and supporting each other in their efforts to promote the values of a culture of peace.