Description of Challengeenergy, energy efficiency
There are simple ways to be energy-efficient and save on domestic energy consumption. Here are some of them...
There are simple ways to be energy-efficient and save on domestic energy consumption. Here are some of them…
(Note: The tips below have been written in reference to a house in Israel – in other parts of the world you might need to make adjustments according to your local climate conditions)
1. Closing the house in winter, except opening windows to air the house out during the warmer hours of the day. The windows that are facing south remain closed, and their shutters are opened during the day to allow sunlight in
2. Use a solar water heater, with an electric backup. Install a timer on your water heater, and heat the water electrically only if necessary for short periods of time (daytime showers can be useful too).
3. In the summer, open the windows all night to allow cool air in. In the morning open the shutters that turn East and in the evening close the shutters that turn West
4. Washing machine – only turn on when completely full on a temperature of 30 degrees centigrade
5. Don’t use a dryer! In winter you can hang the washing on a fold-able clothesline and place it in front of the heater when you use one.
6. Use energy-efficient lightbulbs, appliances and plug out appliances when they are not is use (printers, TVs, etc).
7. Plastering the outside walls of the house in a bright color that makes the sunlight bounce back.
For more tips see the link below.