WE ARE HIRING!
We are now looking for a Project Youth Group Leader based in Senegal to support the participants for the first cycle of the exchange due to happen in 2022. We wish for an enthusiastic and committed person that catches fire with the vision of the project. If that person is you or someone else you know, then send us your application until 13th March 2022.
Position: EYE Group Leader
Contract: Freelance contract for the duration of the project (January 2022 – April 2023)
Reports to: GEN Africa project coordinator and EYE project coordinator
Location: Senegal (for the period of the visit), otherwise flexible
Hours & Compensation: Competitive wage and allowance. Compensation is negotiable.
Starting Date: 1 May 2022
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Refine, organize and implement the Educational Plan together with the project coordinators.
- Accompany, serve and support the participant group of 10 young adults during the visit in Senegal.
- Facilitate sessions and team-building activities during the online phases and during the visit in Senegal.
- Assist with the overall logistics plan (accommodation, transport, communication with Senegalese host community).
- Assist Senegalese participants with the visa application process for Germany.
- Assist with reporting, documentation and evaluation.
Requirements and core competencies:
- Training in a relevant social discipline with experience of working in the field of youth leadership. Training and / or experience in creative group facilitation, conflict resolution , social & racial justice issues or similar.
- Strong ability to self-organise and work in an environment of emergence and complexity.
- Excellent English and French skills are required. Further language competences, particularly Wolof, are an appreciated bonus.
- High degree of integrity, reliability and responsibility for working with youth and young adults.
- Ability to work with persons and organisations from diverse cultural settings.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Ability to work virtually with good internet connection
GEN Africa welcomes applications from anyone who fits the role described above. We welcome applications from young Africans based in Senegal. Please send applications to (email – [email protected]) until 13th March 2022.
Please include the following:
- Cover letter – outlining what motivates you to apply and why you think you match the role description (max. 1 A4 page)
- Resume / CV
- 2 – 3 references
- Earliest possible start date
APPLICATIONS OPENED FOR YOUTH TO JOIN AS PARTICIPANTS OF THE ECOVILLAGE YOUTH EXCHANGE PROJECT
Are you, or a young person you know, called by the project’s core themes of ecology and community, racial and social justice, and youth empowerment? Then perhaps this experience is for you!
EYE (Ecovillage Youth Exchange) Africa-Europe is a collaborative project between GEN Africa and GEN Europe. The project envisions an exchange for young adults involved in the ecovillage movements in Africa and Europe, where we explore steps towards healing and reconciliation between and within the two continents. We focus on youth empowerment through skill-building and exchange of knowledge around ecological living, education and project development, working towards a regenerative and community-oriented future.
The first EYE cycle involves Germany and Senegal as partner countries. A group of 5 young adults from Senegal and 5 young adults from Germany will have the chance to explore the question of how young adults in the ecovillage movement can empower and support each other in their activism for change across continents.
This includes a 3-week visit of the Senegalese participants to Germany in July / August 2022, and a return visit of the German participants to Senegal in November / December 2022 (dates not yet fixed). The whole group of ten will be hosted at ecovillages in Germany and Senegal during these visits. The program also includes a series of online meetings before and after the visits. Specialized trainers/facilitators will accompany the group to dive deeper into specific topics, which may include:
- Participatory sessions to learn about tools for regenerative living and community building from both countries / continents
- Workshops and interactive learning sessions on racial and social (in)justice in history and the present
- Guided group process to create a conscious and healing dialogue on race and privilege
- Workshops on empowerment tools for participants’ own projects
- Sharing music, dance, food and other cultural gifts with each other
- Hands-on activism supporting the hosting ecovillage in their activities
- Collaborative working sessions to document and share the outcomes of the exchange (the next exchange project, an exhibition, a movie,..?)
BUT: We see the EYE project as a journey to unknown terrain.
The group process, program, and outcomes will be guided by the participants’ experiences, interests, and personal gifts.
Does this resonate with you?
Are you ready for a journey towards healing, reconciliation, and empowerment for a regenerative future?
Please let us know about your interest and motivation in this online form: https://forms.gle/chUgPHcyVRMiXitg8
To participate, you should be between the ages of 18 and 30 and a resident of either Germany or Senegal. More requirements can be found under the link above.
The deadline is 13 March 2022.
The EYE project is funded by the Teams up! Programme of Deutsch-Afrikanisches Jugendwerk (formerly weltwärts Begegnungen), the Stiftung Freie Gemeinschaftsbank in Switzerland and other donors.
The basic costs of transportation, training, food, and accommodation will be covered by the project. However, not 100% of the funding is secured yet, so participants are encouraged to support the project’s fundraising efforts through collecting donations or helping to spread the fundraising campaigns.