A Model for Sustainable Community Building in Scotland
Based in Moray, North East Scotland, the Moray Ecovillage Development Project was the Moray LEADER-Funded transnational learning exchange project between three Showcase Scottish communities and two international ecovillages Kilden (Hurdal, Norway) & Schloss Tonndorf (Germany).
It was delivered by the grant holder Global Ecovillage Network (GEN) and supported by delivery partners tsiMORAY. The project was built on a preparatory project that engaged Moray leaders in ecovillage design principles in Estonia at the 2018 GEN Europe conference.
The project, a first of its kind, started in March 2019 and ended in December of 2020. Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, the project was still successful and brought multiple benefits to the communities it engaged with.
Project Aims and Objectives
The overall project aim was to incubate ecovillage development in at least 3 Moray communities towards meeting Moray LEADER Local.
Development Strategy (LDS) objectives around:
- Social entrepreneurship,
- Local food supply chains,
- Local tourism,
- Energy efficiency and renewable energy
- Initiate Ecovillage Incubation in Moray by engaging 3
- communities/projects in committing to ecovillage transition to become showcase projects for sustainable living.
- Engage international partners from Norway and Germany to be peers and collaborators for the group.
- Showcase and share learnings by participating in the international events.
The Full Project Report can be found here.
Leave a Reply