We are in our Co-Founding Stage, the first three years. Three Villagers are sharing land with a transgender witch elder with Alzheimer’s Disease who has lived permaculture here for 30yrs.
We envision a world:
Wherein we offer each other mutual support in a gift economy: celebrating each other’s inherent worth and dignity, all cocreating according to our ability, and all receiving according to our need;
Wherein we are all maturing our personal skills in the shared craft of permaculture, living in Old Growth Forests we’ve tended in these Mountains, sharing all the Earth as one wild affectionate commons, and understanding the story we chose to leave behind where the capitalist industrial world would have killed us all, choosing instead cocreativity in honor of all life;
Wherein we’ve decided living together in federated villages was a good idea and we embody kindness, trust, accountability, responsibility, inclusion and communication, knowing our own personal power & worth from within;
Wherein all indigenous nations’ sovereignty is universally empowered and everyone exercises self-determination in showing up to make decisions collaboratively in our constellations of federation councils with all beings: stars, animals, rocks, plants, fungi, humans, bio-regions and everybody;
Wherein all solidarity centered paths and spiritualities are celebrated, recognizing every place as a sanctuary in veneration of the ancestors who came before us and the ancestors yet to come.
We are holding collective responsibility to move our society into this world.”
With one new Village, a couple is nurturing the flow of this commune until it is self-sustaining. On site is The Welcoming Circle for Diversity, Solidarity and Earth-Care where a local solidarity network (Ouachita Collaborative Cultivators) organizes, agitates and aids. Our alliance with OCC is our cross-roads to send ripples in our broader sense of home. We aim for community-subsistence outside capitalist modes of production.
Membership & Visitors
- Current members: 4
- Open to new members
- Open to visitors
8 ways to participate in Snake Village's "Web":
1. Friend - a person who is an ally to our work and shares similar values and may contribute to our work without a time commitment to being part of the community.
2. Guests - anyone visiting for less than 6 moons with a purpose to be enriched by their experiences with us
3. Orbiter - doesn't for whatever reason live with the community and who acts as an ambassador, upholding a commitment to the Village's mutual-aid for 6 moons then for one year renewable commitments
4. Bird - uninterested to make any extended commitment to the Village and/or deepened relationships AND would like to live here 6 moons to a year. The commitment is to contribute in someway to the Village's goals and to uphold our values.
5. Experiencing Villager - looks toward a longer commitment with the Village w gate-way time to see what life is like here and how personal communal experience is w phase one of our allied-discernment process: "Light the Forge Fires for Discernment"(3-6 moon cycles)
6. Discerning Villager - has completed Experiencing to discern w the deeper second phase of discernment - "Hot Filing Iron into the Soils of Personal Vocation" - their vocation w Snake Village (3-6 moons commitment)
7. Vocational Villager - has chosen to place their vocation with this Village and has completed their period of Experiencing and Discerning; deciding to contribute themself to the collective Vision, Path and Goals for the long-haul, nurturing others with this work as seasons turn. (renewable 1-7 years commitment)
8. Extended Community - Alliance between a network and the Village
Process for Vocational Villager:
a. Visit and/or Fill out our Questionnaire (available by request)
b. Meet with our Village Council about joining
c. See what it's like here for 3-6 moons as an Experiencing Villager
d. Deepen consideration for 3-6 moons as a Discerning Villager
e. Be Welcomed as a Vocational Villager committing to 1-7 years at a time