Description of Challenge
The Ndanifor eco village demonstration site, some homes, hotels, restaurants and offices in Cameroon want to have good-looking stools in their residence but these chairs or stools can be very expensive. Another major challenge is getting rid of plastic bottles in the environment and this can be very difficult in underdeveloped countries so up cycling these bottle will with this.
What you need: About 40 used bottles of same height and size (probably 1.5litres each). Sand can be added in a few bottles the give it some weight, duct tape, two circular plywood of desired circumference, enough sit foam to go around and on the bottles, and a material with any preferable design all depending on your preference.
What to do:
- Join the bottles adjacently in your desired circular size and hold them together with the duct tape.
- Place the two circular boards on both ends of the already joined set of bottles and duct tape the set together.
- After already having the desired shape the bottle and plywoods, you now surround the structure with the foam and glue, you carry out this action until you have a desire thickness and soft form.
- At this point, all that is left to do is to measure and sew the material on the designed sit, this action can be carried out by any individual or by the help of a tailor.
- You can make many designs, chairs, circular, square, rectangular triangular etc.
The wide scope of design imagination involved in making this stool enables you to design what ever kind of stool you want, so many waste plastic bottles can be used at a time and thus reducing the waste bottles greatly (if you have so many) at one go. It saves you the cost of buying ready made chairs or stools which are way more expensive than plastic bottle stools. One can also make these stools, sell and earn a living.
Picture Source. Mr. SOUOBU R M.(Douala CAMEROON, Tel :650 23 56 11)