Description of Challenge
What does money really represent? We have a lot of feelings about how much money
we have and don't have; how much money other people have and don't have; how
money is distributed in the world and about the 1% who own 99% of the world's assets.
But what does money really mean? How does it relate to feeling valued or having true
wealth? Is there a playful way that we can explore our attitudes to money and what it
There are people who have money and people who are rich (Coco Chanel)
Play the money game! Rules as follows:
1. Each participant is asked to bring a sum of money that it would be an ‘edge’ for
them to lose
2. Each participant reflects on what money means to them
3. Sitting in a circle, each person puts their money in front of them on, visible for
all to see
There are then three rounds (715 minutes each, usually around 10 minutes /
4. First round – in silence. Each person takes money as they need. There is no
order of play people simply take as they feel moved to.
5. Second Round – also in silence. Each person gives to others as they want to.
6. Third Round – speaking. Participants negotiate their give and take.
7. Participants reflect on their experience in between rounds and at the end.
Submitted by Robin